Year 10 end of year celebrationsDecember 11, 2020
Once the hard work of studying and assessment was finished for the year, Year 10 celebrated with many events and happenings! During this time, Year 10 were incredibly fortunate to attend their three-day camp at Jindabyne, participate in a Leadership workshop, be entertained by fellow students in the Year 10s Got Talent, share in a grade BBQ cooked by the SRC and attend the formalities of the Year 10 Presentation.
On Tuesday 24 November, Year 10 participated in a Senior Leadership Day facilitated by Burnbright. Throughout the day they explored the themes of developing positive relationships, leading with influence and values, putting yourself in other’s shoes (showing empathy) and having fun along the way. The session stirred some strong emotions in students when exploring values – it was pleasing to see the support mechanisms in place within the year group. The show of empathy and willingness to support one another really demonstrated the strength and closeness of the year group. The lessons learnt on this day will be embedded in conversations throughout Year 11.
On Wednesday 25 November, 170 students and 18 staff boarded buses to Jindabyne. The excitement was palpable at 7.30am with students arriving with pillows, sleeping bags and happy faces. We had morning tea at Cooma on the way and a hearty lunch upon arriving at the Jindabyne Sport and Recreation Centre before launching into the first activity. Some of the highlights were canoeing on Lake Jindabyne (and the excitement of capsizing for some), mountain biking, archery, chain reaction and the puzzle room. Each night students participated in fun games including trivia and a scavenger hunt. The theme for the trivia night was ‘Iconic’ – with students dressing up in an array of outfits. The teachers even joined in on the fun dressing up in SFX school uniforms! There was plenty of free time for the students to spend some quality time together – they enjoyed lying on the grass talking, playing basketball and eating the huge dinners in the dining room. Bus number three needs a special mention for showing resilience when they encountered some bus troubles on the way home, however we all made it back safely and it was lovely to be greeted by parents. Overall, the attitude and behaviour of the students over the three days was excellent!
The final event was the Year 10 Pastoral Day and Presentation Ceremony. The day started with six groups of talented Year 10 students wowing us with their dancing and singing in Year 10s Got Talent. It was wonderful to witness the talent of our Year 10 Performing Arts students. The SRC and teachers then cooked a BBQ for the Year 10 students and Pastoral Leaders to enjoy. Afterwards we headed to the theatre for the Year 10 Presentation Ceremony. Each student looked dazzling in their uniform (and correct socks) when receiving their Year 10 Certificate. Congratulations to the students for their effort and hard work throughout Year 9 and 10! We look forward to welcoming the students back to school on 2 February 2021 as they commence their college years. We also wish those leaving us all the very best on their next journey.
A special mention to the following students who received special awards during the Year 10 Presentation Ceremony:
- Highest Aggregate Score for 2020 – Zoe Cresswell
- Endeavour Award – Andrew Knight
- The Luke Dorsett Performing Arts Award – Zoe Levett
- The Robert Kaz Award – Xavier Gadzinski
- The ADF Long Tan Leadership and Teamwork Award – Sarah Raccosta
- The ADF Future Innovator Award – Zoe Cresswell
- The Australian Catholic University Award for Outstanding Contribution to the SFX Community – George Tuipeatau
- The Rotary Club of Ginninderra 2020 Citizenship Award – Alec Mills
Congratulations to the Subject Award winners including:
- Computing Studies – Axel Healey
- Digital Photography – Matthew Paten
- Digital Technologies – William Debenham
- Drama and Music – Breanna Kelly
- Engineering, Design, Graphics and Manufacture – Zoe Cresswell
- English – Sarah Raccosta
- History – Christopher Villena
- Hospitality and Woodwork – Joseph Blackwell
- Italian – Sarah Raccosta
- Japanese – Ashleigh Cantle
- Mathematics – Mitchell McNamara
- Mathematics – Kasey Mitchell
- Media – Lily Seselja
- Music and Production Crew – Andrew Knight
- PE /Sport and Recreation – Kaylee Charlton
- Religious Education – Andrew Knight
- Science – Alessio Gambale
- Social Studies – Lily Seselja